Margin notes: Things I scribbled in the white spaces on Aug. 15, 2K8

1 – Job 11:1 (ESV) Then Zophar the Naamathite answered and said:

RAF: Zophar’s first answer: The truth is, you haven’t suffered nearly what you deserve. Repent.

2 – Job 12:1-Chap. 14 (ESV) Then Job answered and said:

RAF: Job’s third response: Can’t you see this is God’s hand? I’m not stupid. I’ve searched my heart, confessed, repented and sought forgiveness for whatever. But the suffering remains. This is what I don’t understand. This is what I want God to explain to me.

3 – Job 15:1 (ESV) Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said:

RAF: Eliphaz’s second answer: The wicked suffer – it has always been this way. Just because it is you suffering this time doesn’t change the fact.

4 – Job 16:1-Chap. 17 (ESV) Then Job answered and said:

RAF: Job’s fourth response: Even though it is God who has done this, yet, I know that I have a defender in Heaven. I will not give up even in this. There is still hope, even though I do not understand. Sorry men, you still haven’t got it. Try again.

5 – Job 18:1 (ESV) Then Bildad the Shuhite answered and said:

RAF: Bildad’s second answer: Your own words condemn you Job. The order of the world – that the wicked suffer – will not change because its you. Just own it, you don’t know God.

6 – Job 19:1 (ESV) Then Job answered and said:

RAF: Job’s fifth response: Even though I have no way to describe what I’m going through except to liken it to God’s anger with me – the truth is – I am looking forward to the resurrection and standing before God. I don’t fear it. Things are right between us.

7 – Job 20:1 (ESV) Then Zophar the Naamathite answered and said:

RAF: Zophar’s second answer: This is what I know. The wicked can only prosper for a short while, then they get their due. And I think your previous prosperity was ill-gained, and that is why you are in this situation. Only the wicked suffer!

8 – Job 21:1 (ESV) Then Job answered and said:

RAF: Job’s sixth response: If you can’t comfort me any other way – do it by listening to me – our theology has been wrong. In our little clique, it looked right. But look around in all the world. The wicked don’t always suffer in this life. Sometimes they live their whole lives in luxury and ease. It is not a tit-for-tat universe. Something else is going on and we need to understand it. We’ve been wrong.

9 – Job 22:1 (ESV) Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said:

RAF: Eliphaz’s third answer: No Job – your “new” theology is wrong! God makes the wicked suffer and the righteous prosper. That’s the way it is. No doubt you’ve been unmerciful to the poor and needy and that’s why you suffer like you do right now. There is no end to your sin. Justice and judgment happen here. You’re being judged.

10 – Job 23:1-Chap. 24 (ESV) Then Job answered and said:

RAF: Job’s seventh response: I’m telling you life is not all wrapped up in ” do good and you’ll prosper, sin and you’ll be punished.” There is more to it. It is not based on “laws” like that. God is free to act as He sees fit. We deal with One who personally works and not always according to our expectations. And frankly – this new understanding terrifies me. I’m not sure how to live that way – trusting Him more than the system. You can see how some of the wicked prosper and are not necessarily judged in this life. Tell me if I’m wrong.

Advertisements